Georgina Lees-Smith BSc Hons, Phys, CDBC
- Affiliate of the ISCP and INTO Dogs
- Advanced Post Graduate Degree In Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)
- Working towards BCBA (board certification for behaviour analysis) exam, through the BACB 4th edition task list.
- 10 years investment banking sales and head of business development for a FTSE listed organisation running projects & resourcing for top US investment houses, negotiating contracts and preferred supplier agreements.
- 5 Years media & advertising sales experience working for national and regional news. This was client facing and solutions were delivered via multi media platforms
- Working with children who have learning & behaviour difficulties.
- Volunteering with a local health services in the mental health sector.
- Set up a successful online platform to bring high quality research, seminars, articles, courses & training to behaviour professionals & those interested in understanding the most up to date scientific methodology.
- I am passionate about the practice of ABA (applied behaviour analysis) and the measurement of behaviour from a neurobiological perspective.
- Charity fund raising for Simply Behaviour charity to help bring approved ABA practice to help rehabilitate animals & educate owners to prevent, work with and implement applied solutions which are scientifically proven to improve the quality of ANY animals life (including humans).
Past & Current Projects:
ABA Educational Program: Setting Up A University Program for ABA in the UK (ongoing)
Dog Cognition Lab Portsmouth University: 3 month Project (April-June 2016) Pro-social behaviour for a PhD project with Dr Juliane Kaminski’s team.
Animal Communication system (Simply Behaviour): Working on a communication system for dogs to help improve dog-owner relationships using applied behaviour analysis.
Assessed Animal Behaviour Consulting Project with IAABC: 12 weeks (Jan-April 2016), including an ABA FAID & Data project assessed by Dr Susan Friedman’s team at Utah State University. Some of the course teachers were:
- Dr. Mary Burch
- Dr. Dan Estep
- Dr. Susan Friedman
- Dr. Lore Haug
- Dr. Suzanne Hetts
- Dr. Karen Overall
- Dr. Chris Pachel
- Dr Ken Ramirez
- Kathy Sdao
- Dr. Sheila D’Arpino
- Dr. Evon Hekkala
- Dr. Jessica Hekman
- Dr. Elinor Karlsson
- Dr. Rise VanFleet
- AIDS Vaccine Research: Using Bacillus Subtilis as a cloning vector Royal Holloway University Of London (RHUL) 2000 Dr Cutting’s laboratory- microbiology
- Giardia Lamblia Protein sequence analysis: Using molecular cloning techniques to show inheritance of a vestigial mitochondrion which has implications in its phylogenetic order (university of London) 2005
- Proctor & Gamble– Microbiology Researcher, Cosmetics 2002 (3 month contract)
Other Courses & Certificates
Principles & Practice Certificate- Assessed & Graduated (April 2016):
- Functional Analysis & Intervention Design
- Marker Training
- Case Studies
- Desensitization & Counter Conditioning
- Program Management
- Behavioural Medicine
- LIMA practices
- Business Promotion & Social Media Strategies
- Interpreting Scientific Studies
- The Human Side Of The Equation
- Fostering & Enrichment
- Animal Welfare Science
- Compassion Fatigue
- Learning science
- ABC’s Of ABC & ABA
- Observation Study– Socialisation of wolf dogs. 3 year study of dog-dog socialisation, interaction and behaviour in an enclosure.
- Living & Learning With Animals: Using ABA to change behaviour by looking at motivations, functions & consequences (2 days) 2012 Dr Susan Friedman
- BAT Instructors Course (5 days) 2014 Grisha Stewart
- Clicker & Target Instructor Course: Level 1 & 2 IABTC 2012
- Safeguarding Policies & Reporting Procedures
- Assertiveness Training
- Effective Feedback & Communication
- Moving & Handling
- Autistic & Spectrum Disorders
- First Aid for dogs 2012
- Dog Law 2012
- Scent detection training level 2
- Heel work to music
- Gundog training & Trialling
- Duke University: Dog Emotion and Cognition Grade Achieved: 93.8% 2016 10-15 hours of lectures and assessments Brian Hare
- Medical neuroscience (Duke University) 2013
- Perception Neuroscience Project- (Duke) 2014
- Wild Animal Behaviour (University Of Melbourne) 2014
- University Of Minnesota Behaviour & Genetics (MOOC) Matt McGue 2015
- Autism & ASD
Post Degree memberships:
- British Neuroscience association (BNA)
- Federation of European Neuroscience Associations (FENS)
- International Brain Research Organisation (IBRO)
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
- Society of Biology
Lectures & Seminars Attended:
- Nicole Wilde – Separation Anxiety 2 day seminar
- Michael Shikashio- Aggression handling & management techniques (IAABC)
- 03/10/15 Mark Solms, Ph.D. University Of Cape Town, lecture: Consciousness and the unconscious
- 07/03/15 Panksepp & Solms, Ph.D. Arnold Pfeffer Centre For Neuropsychoanalysis Symposium: A neuropsychoanalytic perspective on drives, instincts, and affects.
- 11/04/15 Daniela Schiller, Ph.D. Neuro Psychoanalytical Society Symposium: Forgetting fear.
- 27/05/15 Jaak Panksepp, Ph.D. Arnold Pfeffer Centre: Human brain evolution, preclinical modelling of the mind and the search for new antidepressants.
- 07/03/15 Mark Solms, Ph.D. Arnold Pfeffer Centre, lecture: A neuropsychoanalytic perspective on drives, instincts, and affects.
- 10/11/15 Carol A. Tamminga, M.D. University Of Texas, lecture: Psychosis as a learning and memory disorder.
- 19/09/15 Nora D. Volkow, M.D. National Institute Of Health, lecture: Addiction as a brain disease.
- 14/07/15 Edward A. Selby, Ph.D. Rutgers University lecture, lecture: Emotional cascades & understanding the chaos and complexity of borderline personality disorder.
- 12/05/15 Lisa M. Monteggia, Ph.D. University Of Texas, lecture: Mechanisms of antidepressant effects.
- 03/03/15 Matthew W. State, M.D. Ph.D. University Of California, lecture: Autism & Genes.
- 09/11/14 IAABC Dr Susan Friedman P.h.D. IAABC, lecture: Reducing Behaviour with reinforcement. (IAABC CEU CODE HXTNH).
- 15/12/14 UCL BNA Neuropharmacology symposium: Professor John Aggleton, President-Elect of the BNA, University of Cardiff, Professor Sophie Scott, University College London, Dr Sarah King, University of Sussex, Dr Ben Sessa, University of Cardiff Psychedelic Drugs, Dr Sridhar Vasudevan, University of Oxford, Professor Trevor Robbins, University of Cambridge, Winner of the Brain Prize, 2014
- 06/12/14 Rachel Marsh, Ph.D. Columbia University Medical Center, lecture: Control & reward circuits in disorders of self regulation.
- 30/01/14 UCL Professor Essi Viding, lecture: Psychology and Language Sciences. Although early behavioural problems are relatively common, not all problems develop for the same reason. Review of behavioural problems in early life, in terms of genetics, brain function and development, and why some are at increased risk of developing problems when they grow up.
- 22/10/14 UCL Professor Nilli Lavie, lecture: Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience psychology and brain research of attention and its effects.
- 30/11/14 Jaak Panksepp Neuropsychoanalysis, lecture: Seeking, reward, play and emotional processing
- 08/04/14 Bruce S. McEwen, Ph.D. Rockefeller University, lecture: Brain Plasticity, what it is and why is it important.
- 11/11/14 Ronald S. Duman, Ph.D. Yale University, lecture: Neurobiology of stress, depression & antidepressants: Remodeling synaptic connections.
- 09/09/14 B.J. Casey, Ph.D. Weill Cornell Medical College, lecture: Early-life stress and its long lasting impact on brain circuitry and behaviour.
- 10/06/14 Cameron S. Carter, M.D. University of California, lecture: Brain networks in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: Targets for novel therapies.
- 13/05/14 John L.R. Rubenstein, M.D., Ph.D. Child Psychiatry Professor, lecture: Understanding brain development as a foundation for understanding brain diseases.
- Woof European Training & Behaviour Conference: Thinking outside the crate 2013 Chirag Patel
- 09/07/13 Dennis S. Charney, M.D. Icahn School Of Medicine, lecture: Resilience, the science of mastering lifes greatest challenges.
- 08/10/13 Francis Lee, MD, Ph.D. Weill Cornell Medical College, Psychiatry Dept, lecture: Fear learning and memory across adolescent development.
- 10/12/13 Jaak Panksepp, Ph.D. Washington State University (Mt Sinai), lecture: Understanding the brain circuits as a foundation for accelerating human neuroscience.
- 10/12/13 Mark Solms, Ph.D. University Of Cape Town (Mt Sinai), lecture: Psychoanalytic perspective on depression and the panic-shutdown hypothesis.
- 09/04/13 B J Casey, Ph.D. Weill Cornell Medical College, lecture: Adolescence, what do transmission, transition and translation have to do with neuropsychoanalysis.
- 04/04/13 Uri Hasson, Ph.D. Psychology Dept & The Neuroscience Institute, Princeton University: Face to face, brain to brain, exploring the mechanisms of dyadic social interactions.
- 15/11/12 Jaak Panksepp, Ph.D. Dept VCAPP College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University Pullman, WA, lecture: Conscious Id revisited. Based on the view that consciousness depends on brain stem nuclei and they are involved in the primary emotional processes that we associate with the Id. An argument between him and Solms et al, on the evidence.
- 02/11/12 Rodolfo Llinas, Ph.D. Department of Physiology and Neuroscience NYU, lecture: Self and self awareness, how sensory inputs contribute to perceptual unity and the mechanism which allow these components to be gathered into one global image. Discussion by Maggie Zellner Ph.D.
- How To Increase Your Animal Business Revenue
- The Solution To Most Dog Behaviour Problems
- Impulse Control Related Aggression, Its Neurological Mechanisms & Relationship With Applied Behaviour (ABA) Techniques
- Attention, Perception and Emotion; it’s implication for behaviour modification protocols
- The Neuroscience of Critical Periods (puppy development)
- Why Letting Your Dog Cry Can Cause Permanent Damage
- Attachment- Securely Setting Them Up To Succeed
Relationship Between Stress, Aggression & Resilience As A Function Of Environmental Predictability
- Critical Period For Somatosensory Development & The implication Of Sensory Experiences Relating To Psychobiological Substrates
- The Neural Substrates Of Stress & Their Implication In Potential Prevention Or, Treatment Options
- Neuroscience Of Lip Licking
- Why Do Dogs Yawn The Neuroscience Of Empathy & Theory Of Mind
- The Science Behind Punishment & Why It Does Not Teach Anything
- The Relationship Between Stress, Aggression & Resilience
Courses & Online Products:
- Webinar: How To Grow, Increase Sales, Network, Advertise & Run Your Animal Related Business
- 7 Day Recall Survival Guide (owner/enthusiast/professional)
- 7 Day Puppy Survival Guide (owner/enthusiast/professional)
- 7 Day Separation Anxiety Survival Guide (owner/enthusiast/professional)
- 7 Day Retrieve Survival Guide (owner/enthusiast/professional)
- Essential Training Resource Guide
- Recall Instructor Course
- Heel Work Instructor Course
- Puppy Training Classes Instructor Course
- Introduction To the Science Of Behaviour (Beginners) Seminar
- Introduction To the Neuroscience of Behaviour On-line Seminar (Degree level)
Some Of The Posters (from the Essential Training Resource Guide) that can be purchased and displayed in vets, rescues, training halls, shops, used for presentations to help educate & raise awareness.
Childrens dog body language colouring book & word finder is free with the poster pack (it can be purchased separately, please email for more information)
To sign up to our newsletter through Facebook click here: Simply Behaviours Facebook Page